Great week at the gym last week! We celebrated Memorial Day on Monday with “Murph,” I coached my first two classes, and then closed the week with some new PR’s at the bar, including the deadlift video you can see below. I’ve officially been on OPT programming for a month, and I’m pretty pleased with the results so far.
What I love:
- Each workout leaves me wrecked and sore
- My working weight in each workout is consistently going up
- I’ve had more PR’s in the past month then in the last six
- I’m working on my goats (weaknesses) — mainly my upper body strength
What I’m struggling with:
- The workouts are long – sometimes 2 hours with proper warm-up, prescribed rests and cool-down
- I’m on my own most of the time, so I’m definitely missing the social element
- I sometimes end up a day off schedule because I need added rest
So all in all my first month on OPT has been pretty successful. I think I can address my struggles with isolation with 1-2 workouts per week with the group, and I definitely think teaching will help as well. The length of the workouts is just something I’m going to have to work on with my schedule, but I’m hopeful I can continue to make the programming work.
Trying new CrossFit programming has been reminiscent of going mostly Paleo two years ago. It’s exciting to tweak and try new things and find the balance of strength and endurance that is the most optimal. There are so many different programs, ways to program and people to learn from, I sometimes find it hard to believe I used to be the girl who dreaded exercise in any form.
(+1 mile – Jes)
Finish: 48:16 (Neil), 54:10 (Jes)
Rest Day, we were sore!
Banded warm-up, shoulder mobility
10 ring pull-ups
200 ft weighted lunges (55# each arm)
Finish: 18:30 (20 minute cap)
15 air squat
Finish: 10 rounds
A. Handstand walking practice (I’m terrible at this)
B. Split jerk; 2 reps on the min for 10 min @60% 1rm (75#)
Row 30 seconds @100%
(rest 5 min bw sets 4/5)
Finished with a PR power clean at 115#!
A. Clean deadlift; 5, 4, 3, 2, 1; rest 3 min – started at 105# and worked to PR 1RM (rep-max) of 185
B. TnG (touch and go) Power snatch; 10, 8, 6, 4, 2; rest 90 sec (working weight: 75#, maxed at 85#)
C. 30 squat clean for time 70% 1rm (85#)
How have your workouts been going lately? Do you follow a plan to stay on track?
You may also like