My original plan was to experiment in making a vegan chocolate STOUT cupcake based off this recipe, but I have to be honest…I’m not a stout fan, and I just didn’t see it translating to a dessert I’d be thrilled about. I know that makes me the party pooper, but I still created something for St. Patrick’s day. A lovely chocolate cupcake with an awesome mint frosting I’m definitely using again. In creating this recipe I felt like I was running circles around Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. Has anyone read or bought this book? Worth it or is there a better vegan cooking album? I’m definitely getting into it, so maybe an all-around reference would be the better bet. In any case, definitely give this recipe a try, it’s amazing what you can do without butter and eggs.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons black cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil or applesauce (if you use applesauce, increase to 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preaheat the oven to 350 and line a 12-muffin pan with cupcake liners (I didn’t use any, REGRET!)
2. Mix together together the flour, cocoa powders, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the soy milk, oil, maple syrup, sugar, vinegar and vanilla.
4. Beat wet ingredients at medium speed for about two minues. Add mixture the dry ingredients and beat for about another minute to combine.
5. Fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 full and bake for about 25-30 minutes. remove from oven and allow to fully cool.
MINT ICING INGREDIENTS:
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon soymilk or soy creamer
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 drops green food coloring
MINT ICING DIRECTIONS:
1. Cream the shortening for a few minutes until soft.
2. Add one cup powdered sugar and a few splashes of the soymilk (or soycreamer). Mix to incorporate and continue to alternate until all the powdered sugar is used up and the frosting is at the desired consistency. Add the vanilla, mint, and green food coloring.
What you get is a sweet little muffin with a cool mint icing that is perfect for any occasion. For me, they are the post-workout treat I’ve looked forward to for two nights now.
QUESTION! Do you have any great vegan cookbooks that you’d swear by? What are they?
You may also like