So we had a lot of left over jalapeños from the garden and we really did not want them to go to waste so being that I love spicy food I suggested we try making our own jalapeno poppers!
Well, when searching for the right recipe I was really not too excited about making a meal that requires me to fat fry everything, and I knew that somewhere someone had a more healthy style recipe for poppers.
Well I found THIS recipe from Emeril on the food network’s website. Here is the rundown of the modifications I made to the recipe:
- 12 fresh jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise, stems, seeds and membranes removed
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened – I used fat free cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack or mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or less, to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 8 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows – see his website for essence recipe
- 1 cup panko crumbs, or fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
The rest of the directions I followed as written. Here is how it went!
I put the cream cheese in the microwave for 30 seconds or so to soften it up.
Chopping up the peppers.
The assembly line, dip into the flour, then egg, then bread crumbs, a very messy procedure!
A must have when dealing with hot peppers.
Libby watches the mayhem.
In and out of the oven in around 25 minutes and you are set!
They were very good, but make sure to place them right side up so the cream cheese stays in! We loved these because they were not really heavy and had a great flavor with all the spices in the breading. I hope you enjoy! -Neil